The name Pikiruukki probably dates back to times when there were plenty of pitch cooking houses on its shores. They can be seen in the maps of the early 18th century.
Inhabitation spread to these areas in the late 1850s when plenty of people moved from Tervaniemi to Pikiruukki. Decorative villas also emerged on the shores at the end of the 19th century. They were mostly built by Russian aristocrats and rich shopkeepers.
In 1898 Pikiruukki had 37 houses and 148 inhabitants.
In the 1930s new plots were planned to Pikiruukki. They were built fast.
The lands belonged to Monrepos mansion and the plots were always rented for 50 years at a time.