Kangasranta area had already been established in the 1860s. The area had no street plan and most plots were very small. The building stock was unsound and the area was in places very densely built. Electric lines and a partial water and sewer network were not built into the area until after 1924 when the area was incorporated into the town of Vyborg. Streets were repaired and the new street plan was implemented along with new residential buildings. New streets were built into the eastern part of the area, such as the ring road, which was not finished.
For example, Viipurin Takomo, Kangasrannan Kutomo Oy, Viipurin Ruumisarkkutehdas, and Rinkelileipomo Hugo J. Mikkonen were located in Kangasranta.